Friday, March 23, 2012

Lunenburg Academy Memory Quilt

My amazing crew of seamstresses from the Lunenburg Academy and I have been very busy creating blocks for our memory quilt for the last seven weeks. Yesterday, we had a very productive session and the whole top has finally been pieced together. I am thrilled to present it in its almost-finished state!


Next week we will be stretching it on the frame and begin hand quilting the whole piece, stitching the top, batting and back layers together. Hand-quilting is an old tradition in this part of Nova Scotia, and continues on today with a few groups. I am so impressed by the dedication and creativity I have seen over the last few weeks with my students, and I cant wait to see the quilt complete!


Early on, we made a practice paper quilt to better understand drawing with shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment